A first date can be a nerve-wracking experience, especially if you’re not sure what to expect or how to behave. Whether you’re new to the dating scene or have been around the block a few times, it’s always helpful to have a guide to help you navigate the dos and don’ts of a successful first date.
To ensure that your first date goes smoothly and sets the stage for a potential second date, it’s important to be respectful, genuine, and open-minded. In this article, we’ll go over 21 tips for making the most of your first date, from what to wear and how to behave, to how to make good conversation and follow up afterwards. With these tips in mind, you can approach your first date with confidence and increase your chances of making a good impression.
- Do dress appropriately. You want to make a good first impression, so it’s important to wear something that is both comfortable and presentable. Avoid wearing anything too revealing or sloppy.
- Don’t be late. It’s always rude to keep someone waiting, especially on a first date. Make sure to arrive on time or even a few minutes early to show that you respect your date’s time.
- Do make conversation. First dates can be nerve-wracking, but try to relax and make small talk with your date. Ask about their interests and listen actively to what they have to say.
- Don’t talk about exes. It’s natural to want to know about your date’s past relationships, but it’s best to avoid the topic on a first date. It can be a major turn-off and make your date feel uncomfortable.
- Do be a good listener. In addition to asking questions, it’s important to listen to your date’s responses and show that you are interested in what they have to say. This can help to build a connection and set the stage for a second date.
- Don’t dominate the conversation. It’s great to be engaging, but it’s important to give your date a chance to speak as well. Avoid talking excessively about yourself or monopolising the conversation.
- Do be respectful. Treat your date with kindness and respect, and avoid making inappropriate or offensive comments. Remember to use good manners, such as saying please and thank you.
- Don’t drink too much. It’s okay to have a drink or two on a first date, but be mindful of your limits. Drinking excessively can impair your judgement and make you behave in a way that you might regret later.
- Do be yourself. It’s important to be genuine on a first date and not try to be someone you’re not. Be honest and authentic, and let your true personality shine through.
- Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not. Along the same lines, it’s important to avoid pretending to be someone you’re not in an attempt to impress your date. This can come off as inauthentic and can lead to misunderstandings later on.
- Do be open-minded. It’s okay to have preferences and dealbreakers when it comes to dating, but try to keep an open mind on a first date. You never know, you might have more in common with your date than you initially thought.
- Don’t make assumptions. Avoid making assumptions about your date based on their appearance or any preconceived notions you may have. It’s always best to get to know someone before jumping to conclusions.
- Do be positive. A first date is a chance to get to know someone and have a good time, so try to focus on the positive aspects of the experience. Even if you’re not feeling particularly compatible, try to find something to appreciate about your date.
- Don’t complain excessively. It’s okay to mention if something is bothering you, but try to avoid complaining excessively on a first date. This can come off as negative and can make your date feel uncomfortable.
- Do be open to trying new things. A first date is a chance to try something new and step outside of your comfort zone. Consider suggesting an activity or restaurant that you’ve never tried before and see where the night takes you.
- Don’t be too pushy. It’s important to respect your date’s boundaries and be open to their suggestions as well. Avoid being too pushy or insisting on doing something that your date is not comfortable with.
- Do be mindful of your body language. Nonverbal cues such as eye contact, posture, and facial expressions can speak louder than words on a first date. Be aware of how you are presenting yourself and try to exude confidence and openness.
- Don’t play games. It’s important to be straightforward and honest on a first date, rather than playing games or sending mixed signals. Be clear about your intentions and be open to discussing where the relationship is heading.
- Do be respectful of your date’s boundaries. Make sure to respect your date’s personal space and boundaries. It’s okay to show physical affection if both parties are comfortable with it, but be mindful of your date’s wishes.
- Don’t try too hard. It’s important to be yourself on a first date and not try too hard to impress your date. Being genuine and authentic is more attractive than trying to put on a show.
- Do follow up. If you had a good time on your first date and are interested in seeing your date again, it’s polite to follow up with a text or call to thank them for their time and to express your interest in a second date.
Overall, the key to a successful first date is to be respectful, genuine, and open-minded. By following these dos and don’ts, you can set the stage for a potentially meaningful and enjoyable relationship.